Every wonder why Top 10 lists are so popular? Did it begin with the Ten Commandments? Did our country’s founding fathers start the trend with the 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights? Or is it because we have 10 digits on both our hands and our feet?
No matter the reason, get ready to exercise those 10 fingers, because we’re sharing 10 benefits of owning a Murphy bed – also known as a wall bed, fold-down bed or pull-out bed. These beds are hinged at one end to store vertically against the wall, or inside a closet or cabinet. And with the minimalist and micro-living movements in full swing, wall beds are all the rage.
Here are 10 reasons to consider jumping on board.
1. They’re space savers. Wall beds provide a comfortable bed, whenever you need it. Whether you’re in a big city like New York or a shared space like a beach house in Wrightsville Beach, N.C., space is often at a premium. Murphy beds save tons of space, affording plenty of room to exercise, play with pets and children, and indulge in hobbies.
2. They’re attractive. Many wall beds fold up into armoire-like furniture pieces. Vertically folding double- and queen-sized beds can also convert into fully functioning desks, display shelves, storage units and more.
3. They have a great origin story. The Murphy bed is the namesake of inventor William Lawrence Murphy. According to legend, Murphy was in the process of wooing an opera singer during the early years of the 20th century. However, he was living in a one-room San Francisco apartment, and the moral code of the time prohibited a woman from entering a man’s bedroom. So Murphy, through a system of pivot and counterbalanced bed designs, converted his bedroom into a parlor, enabling him to entertain in good conscience. Read more about this on Strickland’s Window Coverings blog.
4. They’re comfortable. Murphy beds eliminate squeaky box springs from the whole bed equation. You simply strap a favorite mattress onto the wall bed’s wood base, thereby securing it in place.
5. They’re feng shui dynamos. A wall bed opens up your rooms and frees up plenty of floor space, facilitating an optimal, peaceful flow of energy. Ahhhhh!
6. They blend in with any décor. Murphy beds come in a wide variety of finishes and styles and can seamlessly integrate with coastal, country, traditional, modern or any other décor.
7. They’re super easy to use. If lifting a heavy bed is a concern, have no fear – wall beds fold easily into and out of their storage spaces. Nowadays, they can even be remote-controlled.
8. They’re great for anyone who works from home. Talk about a transitional space! Wall beds do much to satisfy the growing number of people who work remotely, using that spare bedroom as an office.
9. They’re trendy and chic. Especially in a post-recessionary world, multipurpose is respectable, small square footage is beautiful, and wall beds are offering unique standalone design elements.
10. They can be custom designed. Our professional design team can create a Murphy bed and storage solution that’s suited specifically to your needs and your space, be it a home office, a rec room, a craft room, a guest bedroom or another room in your house. Now that we’ve covered all 10 fingers, it’s time to exercise those toes. Come check out the Murphy bed installation in our showroom, and learn how Carolina Closet Company (a division of Strickland’s Window Coverings) can help you maximize your home’s space.
Fred Kumpel is the owner of Strickland’s Window Coverings and Carolina Closet Company. Fred has more than 30 years of experience in the industry. Strickland’s Window Coverings is a window treatment design center specializing in custom blinds, shades, shutters and fabric treatments for more than 70 years. Carolina Closet Company provides professionally designed and custom-built organization solutions. Our complete line of home organization solutions includes unique solutions to organize closets, pantries, garages, basements, laundry rooms as well as Murphy beds. To learn more, visit www.stricklandswindowcoverings.com and www.closetsbythesea.com. Fred can be reached at email@example.com or by calling 910.762.0944.